The Thin Man

The Thin Man
If only we could all dress like Nora Charles...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Interview with Author David Boyle

My friend, David Boyle, is the author of Blood Works, released by Arctic Wolf Publishing this winter. Blood Works is available at all major online bookstores.

Your book, Blood Works, is a collection of short fiction. Tell us about it.
First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking precious time out of your hectic writing schedule to discuss my book. I look forward to reading "The Deputy's Widow" this year!
To answer your first question,the anthology is filled with tales of ordinary people stepping into horrific situations. The stories in "Blood Works" are little episodes we often encounter simply by getting out of bed in the morning and going about daily life. The tales explore the small things that we rarely think twice about. Then, when horror is injected into them, it radically changes the outcome. And I can only hope that the readers will take the book for a ride and say "I've been in that place before!" Or on the other hand, "I hope that never happens to me!"

How long did it take you write Blood Works...years? Months?
It would be hard to calculate the exact amount of time it took, but I will try and offer a gauge. A couple of years ago I started writing the tales for "Blood Works" at nights and on weekends. I found myself stealing time to create. I would write during my breaks at work and usually stay up past my bed time to unload the ideas into the typewriter. It would be safe to say that somewhere from six months to a year had elapsed when I found the majority of the anthology was complete. But being it was written at odd times makes it difficult to be more accurate.

Do you have a favorite story in the book?
I don't, Jennifer. They are all close to my heart as is everything I pen. But occasionally a reader will have one that hits close to home for them and for that moment when they are telling me all about it, I am reliving the tale and it's a cool feeling for me. And of course during our conversation I'm charged up about that specific story. I just can't take sides with any of the selections at this point. Perhaps down the road if I'm able to enjoy longevity in this business I will have a clearer angle at choosing a favorite. Because I think that when you end up doing something artistically for a long stretch of time, you realize that some segments of your catalogue hold up better than others.

Who do you read to inspire you?
I draw inspiration from life in general; movies, books, people, relationships, etc. I don't limit myself as to where I take from. I'll use any means possible to feed my craft. Anything can be put to good use when you stop and think about it. I really can't think of a book I've read over the years that didn't touch a chord with me, and that's the truth. Even if the story is not what I expected I always find myself saying "WOW" frequently during the read.


Who do you read for enjoyment?
I will read anyone. There is an extensive list of books I plan on buying this year, including yours, Jennifer. There are many talented writers that I have had the pleasure of finding on Myspace this year, and once I get things in order I am doing lots of book shopping to support their work.

You mentioned that you write during breaks at work or during the evenings at home. Is there any specific place that brings you more inspiration than another?
I have written in many different places, and fortunately it has never been too difficult to focus. I find that ideas strike me at the strangest times too; when I least expect it. For example, I remember when I was working on some of the stories for "Blood Works" and during this one day in particular I was enjoying a beautiful summer day with my wife. We were eating ice cream cones sitting on the tailgate of my truck talking about life in general, sharing a few laughs and such. It was in the middle of our conversation that a wave of inspiration washed over me. At that second, I discovered the concept for one of the tales in my book called "Blink of an Eye." I never suspected that something so dark would hit me on such a glorious day. When we returned home later that afternoon, I hit the keyboard and started writing. During my session at the typewriter there were kids playing in the streets, screaming, playing basketball, riding bikes, etc. But the story was eating away inside and it was time to get it out. And I don't always find it easier to write horror at night as opposed to the day. When the moment is knocking at my door and it feels natural, I'm ready to create and allow the story to take on a life of its own.

Do you read books on "how to write?"
I don't, Jennifer. I know I want to write and that I love to tell my stories. I believe every author has their own approach to the craft. But I do have much to learn and as I write each day I try to become a better storyteller. To be honest with you, I believe my journey as an author will be one of continuous learning and that I will never know it all. I always try something different every once in a while. For me, there's not just one way of doing things. The craft of storytelling, like other arts, is all about experimentation. To me it is, at least. Countless times I've been thousands of words into writing a tale only to delete most of it because it wasn't working correctly. My approach is hands on and being honest with myself and my work, first and foremost. A "how to" book is a resource I have not used up to this point. I believe trial and error will light my way.

Who would you like most to be compared to as a writer? Why?
I never think about being compared to anyone. Sure, if someone did compare me to a popular and talented author it's a flattering statement to make, but I just want to develop my own voice and hopefully readers will respond to it. That's all I could ever ask for. I'm never one to say "I want to be the next..." I'm not interested in proclamations of that kind. I only want to write and create to my potential and enjoy the ride.

What are you working on now?
I just keep writing, Jennifer. I try and find the time each day to put something down on paper and have fun. That's my philosophy on things. When life gets in the way and I'm unable to get thoughts down on paper, I don't get frustrated or alarmed. I take it one day at a time. This past week I was able to work on four stories at the same time. I really enjoyed doing that and all of the tales were fresh in my head and the sessions at the keyboard were productive. I'm just happy to be part of this art.

Will you ever write a full-length novel? What about?
If a story leads me down that path one day I will. But I'm not an author that focuses on length at all. Many people ask me this question and it's a good one. It would not be difficult for me to expand my short stories into longer works. But at this point there is something fascinating to me about short fiction. I enjoy packing as much punch as possible into a rapid-fire story. It's a fun and creative challenge for me when I want to get a story out and I try to keep the core of the tale confined and get to the flesh of it faster. Plus, for the readers that don't have a lot of time to invest in a longer story, a sudden jolt of fear during the day or before bed gets the job done.

Tell us about your upcoming short film. When and where will folks be able to see it? What's it about? How did the idea to turn it into a picture come about?
It all started with a message I received from the talented Dave Jackson from "Jack Action Films." He had read some of my work and enjoyed it. He discussed the opportunity there was to work with him on one of my shorts. Mr. Jackson read the story "Blindsided" I wrote and informed me that he wanted to script it for screen. I really admire his approach to writing and to his preparation of fiction to film. He was very respectful of my story and most of all he amazed me with his creativity and passion for the project. I have learned a lot from him about the contrast between writing a story for a book, and for film. The approach is worlds apart. Without giving too much away, I will say "Blindsided" is about trying to prove that this character, a psychic, is a fraud. It is being shot this spring in Canada and as production rolls along I will eventually learn more about where interested fans can see it.

Any future plans for additional films based off your work?
I have discussed opportunities with other filmmakers and it's been a real treat. If it happens, that's great. You never know what's in store for you. I have always wanted to work/write in the horror cinema world and perhaps with a great deal of luck it could happen. For now I am excited to see what Mr. Jackson does with "Blindsided." From working with him so far and seeing his talent and enthusiasm for the tale I can only see great things coming to life.

Do you come by your writing ability naturally? Any other writers in the family?
I do not come by writing naturally at all. I'm not even sure what kind of ability I possess. I will leave that answer to the readers. I keep working at it, and with some luck perhaps I'll learn much more about being the best storyteller I can be. My brother is a screenwriter. He lives in North Carolina and he has penned many tales of his own.

How important is a good support system to you as a writer?
Very important! When a writer sits down to spill his guts he/she needs encouragement from all around them. It helps you find balance. Often times I have found that good supporters usually have great ideas on how you can propel your craft further. I think solid support is necessary no matter what you do. There are people out there that risk their lives everyday and are brave beyond any character I could ever imagine in a story, and much more than I'll ever be. Those are the ones that need the most support.

What advice do you have for new/aspiring writers?
I don't have much to offer on this one, Jennifer. I am in no position to steer anybody toward a certain road. There is no map to guide the way. I am here as a result of luck and good fortune. I just hope others who try their hand at the pen find what they are looking for.

No comments: