The Thin Man

The Thin Man
If only we could all dress like Nora Charles...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Feelin' The Love

Loving Your Characters While Raising The Stakes

To make a reader care about your work…your book, your short story, your characters, you have to “raise the stakes”…at least that’s what the experts tell us. This is a tough row to hoe at times. Of course I want my fiction to be compelling…I want Baker to be memorable and honorable and interesting. But I can’t make him that way if I allow him to live in a vacuum. Whether I like it or not, I have to toss problems in his direction and let him solve them.

I confess, this hurts me sometimes. He finds himself in peril…standing on the edge of a cliff, looking into the barrel of a gun with nowhere to go. He looks at me with his eyebrow cocked. “Why?” he wants to know. “Why do you do this to me over and over and over?”

I could say something trite like “Because I love you.” Ugh. Too cliché. I could say, “This hurts me more than it hurts you,” but that would be a lie and we all know it. I guess if I wanted to give Baker a good answer as I write him to the edge of the cliff and over the side I’d say, “I want you to grow. I want to make you better.”

But still I sense his bewilderment and the sense of betrayal he feels as I toss him over the edge with nothing beneath but jagged rocks crawling with starving crocodiles; nothing above but a pack of rabid wolves, three carnivorous bears, a wolverine, and a skunk; and a python slinking its way along the scraggly branch from which Baker hangs.

“Come on, man, this is no fair,” he says.

Ok, I say it. “I do this because I love you.” And in a weird way, I mean it. Today, I don’t think he believes me.

No comments: